Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

Remember how I mentioned giving my testimony at church a few Sunday mornings ago?

I still can't believe I did it.

I surprisingly was not the least bit nervous... (I always get nervous when speaking in front of large crowds... microphones scare me, (all last summer every Sunday we would have to introduce ourselves in front of more than the whole camp because parents, grandparents, siblings were all there too, I would become very, very nervous after lunch before campers and families arrived) my voice gets all shaky which makes me more nervous and then I get choked up because it's not going the way I wished it had) I got ready for church, making sure to eat breakfast... nothing is worse than being hungry in church time seems to slow down and you just pay more attention to the grumbling of your tummy than to the sermon and message God intends for you to hear.

Anyways, my parents and I arrive at church (the whole across the street walk we have seemed like nothing and out of a natural habit) we were greeted and found seats I insisted on sitting closest to the aisle. I then proceeded to read the church bulletin (it has an outline for the service) my name was four lines down (definitely did not expect to see my name that close to the top of the page). That is when I thought, "What did I get myself into?". We heard the announcements, sang 1 song, prayed, (right about now I was shaking my nerves were catching up to me) Scripture was read...

I was introduced to the congregation...

As I walked up the steps to the pulpit, I was more than nervous, all eyes were on me!

"Good morning" I started out listening to my own voice shake. "I was asked to share my life story, but as you all have watched me grow up and have guided me in my walk with Christ; I decided to share with you my journey." By this time I think I got teary eyed from being nervous, I'm such a girl!
"In high school I felt a calling into the ministries from God, I've always been good with the youth so it just stuck as where God wants me to be in the future. I got very involved by volunteering with the youth programs at church. That was just the beginning of God's plan for me. I became the Youth Intern for Janelle awhile after I started college. I was her intern for a little over a year. I felt God calling me to do greater things outside of the church, so I applied and got the position to be a counselor at a Christian Camp called Frontier Ranch, I grew as the campers asked questions, I witnessed hundreds of youth accepting Christ in their hearts, and helped teach them ways to use their newly founded relationship with Christ outside of camp, and how to grow and build on that relationship. While at camp I discovered that Azusa Pacific University had accepted my application to attend in the fall. While I was attending APU I was given many obstacles and seemed like I was at a disadvantage. It was probably the best thing that God could do for me because, I had never relied in God as much as I did in that semester at Azusa. Jeremiah 29:12-14 says 'In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. I will be found by you, says the Lord. i will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.' I wound up finding my way back home and only God knows why. I chose not to take a semester off and get back to my academics so I registered for a few classes at Merced College. Currently I have been helping with the high school youth group. I will be assisting or co-directing Fun In The Son. In my future I hope to graduate with my associate's in psychology, transfer to a state college (which ever one will have me) to get my Bachelors of Arts in Psychology, after that I plan on getting my Masters of Divinity. Who knows I may be back, standing behind this pulpit giving the sermon one day."

3 comments:

  1. I was so proud of you. Couldn't believe that we produced and cultivated a beautiful flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Hopefully I will have something good to go along with a testimony that I can give.

    ReplyDelete