Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dream Wedding

This is a narrative that I wrote for my English class. I'm told that it's good, but I'm not too sure. Tell me what you think.


P.S. You will probably want some Kleenex close by...






Dream Wedding


It was a cold October, the day was supposed to be perfect, but there was a storm rolling in. I was nervous and had butterflies in my stomach; it was half an hour before the ceremony would begin and the guests were already starting to arrive. I was able to see those that were coming in from the room where I was waiting. I saw many of my friends, even my youth minister from my high school days.

My wedding was supposed to be outside, but with the unpredictable weather we rushed to the closest indoor location. There was an old rustic barn that happened to be on the same property as where the ceremony was originally supposed to take place. What a blessing that I noticed the bard during one of our walk-throughs at the venue. With a little magic and a lot of help we could turn the old, rustic barn into one of the most romantic ceremony sights I have ever seen. It hit me, this is where I’m going to get married, in front of friends and family, to the man I love and want to spend the rest of my life with.

We had white candles leading the way to the altar. Christmas lights and Chinese paper lanterns were hung from the rafters and beams. It looked like a fairy tale, my very own fairy tale that only I could have dreamed of came to life; it was so romantic.

As I stood waiting in my dress I reminisced on what it took to find it. I had gone shopping with my mom, we visited three stores and I tried on close to thirty dresses. But when I slipped this one on, I just knew it was the right one. It fit like a glove, like it was made special for me. The dress only needed one alteration to the hem. It was an A-line (Princess) silhouette, with a Basque waistline, and a Sweetheart neckline. The color was a crisp white, with a satin ribbon that tied around the waist.

My hair was pulled back in a chignon bun surrounded by perfectly, smooth curls. Tucked on the right side of the up-do was a white phalaenopsis orchid. That particular kind of orchid was symbolic because it was my grandmother’s favorite. This is my way of remembering her on this special day; and the orchid placed on the right side because that's the side that faces the audience from the front of the altar when I face my groom.

I was almost ready to be given away, when my Dad, my strong tower, gave me one of the best father daughter talks I could receive on my wedding day. He said, “You will always be my little girl, but today I will be giving you to a young man who loves you almost as much as I do”. My Dad was a strong masculine man who very rarely showed any emotion, but as he was talking he started to get choked up and teary eyed. As he fought back the tears he spoke softer saying, “Darling, you aren’t going to need me to fix your car or come to save you when you’re in need. You will have Eric to do all those things for you. I won’t be your hero anymore, he will, but I will always be your Daddy, and I will always love you. Now go and make me proud, get down that aisle and say “I do.” As I dabbed at the tears welling up in my eyes I told my Dad that I loved him and that no man could ever get in the way of that. He smiled and asked, “Well, are you ready kid?” and with a nod we proceeded to the barn.

I stood at the end of the line. First my bridesmaids walked down the aisle. Their dresses are perfect; each dress style is different for each girl. Some are short, some are long. Some have sleeves, some are sleeveless. But all of the dresses are a gorgeous shade of sage green. Each girl has her hair done differently, something unique to their individual personalities. The florist did an excellent job on their bouquets. Deep colored sunflowers, with a lot of foliage, very simple. One by one my girls are walking down the aisle. One by one it gets closer to my turn. Closer to my future.

There goes the flower girl, my niece. She wanted to make sure that she sprinkled the petals just perfect. So cute. She practiced a lot according to her parents, my brother and sister-in-law. It has been such a job watching her grow up the past five years.

My future stood waiting, Eric, was a mess of nerves; the anxiety had built up from all the hustle and bustle of getting ready just for this moment. When the doors had opened for my entrance, he was the first and only person I looked at. Butterflies had started to flutter in my stomach, not out of nervousness, but out of excitement to start a new chapter and life as Mrs. Karen Johnson. His face in awe of my beauty, he couldn’t take his eyes off of me. It was the reaction I had always dreamed of; it had sent chills up and down my spine that made me more anxious. I felt as if I were the only person in the room. The butterflies had grown bigger with each step towards him. My grip to the bouquet of cal lilies grew tighter and my palms clammy as I reached my Prince Charming. When my Dad had given my hand in marriage I knew that this whole “dream” really wasn’t a dream. Our childhood Pastor, Reverend Brad Smith, talked about watching us grow up, and how to keep our love strong long after the wedding. We wrote our own vows, with words of love and hope of a great future. My sister was my matron of honor; she read a passage from the bible about how love is always patient, kind, never boastful, or full of pride. Our mom’s got up and placed a combination of flowers in a vase to unify our families. Eric wrote a song for me; about his undying love for me, he sang with what came from his heart while my brother played the guitar. Our uniting kiss was magical as if it were straight from a fairy tale. I will never forget the day that I declared my love by saying “I do”.












So what do you think? Leave some feed back. :)

2 comments:

  1. Two spelling things, other then that it's good! :)
    In the first paragraph you accidentally typed "bard" not "barn". And it's calla lilies, not cal lilies. That's all.
    It was good to see you last weekend, and fo' sheezy on the secret life of bees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    secret life of bees come out on the 17th... so maybe sneak away while in Hawaii?

    ReplyDelete